Monday, July 5, 2010

Finishing Frenzy

I've been cleaning out my knitting basket this weekend (or my to-do list, which is how I see the WIP list on Ravelry). Most of these knits have been "finished" for a while and were just waiting for final touches. Really, I suppose it all depends on how you define "finished." For me, a project isn't complete until I've taken FO shots and posted them to the blog. This should explain why things sit with 100% progress bars for weeks, if not months. I may be waiting for buttons, or weaving in the ends, or blocking, or remembering to grab the DH and ask him to take pictures (or finding something interesting to say in a post). All that said, even if I didn't knit all four of these projects this weekend, I'm still really happy to finally cross them off my to-finish list.

First up: the gifts.


Pattern: Lilac Leaf Scarf from Nancy Bush's fantastic book Knitted Lace of Estonia
Yarn: 1 skein malabrigo lace, colorway olive (I absolutely adore this yarn!)
Needles: size 4 addi lace circular
Mods: I don't know that I'd call it a mod, but I knit until I thought I was going to run out of yarn. And then I stopped. What relation that bears to how long this scarf is supposed to be, I have absolutely no idea. But the length is perfect (just shy of 5 feet, if I remember correctly).


I love the contrast of the modern-looking semi-solid yarn with the very traditional lace patterns. I don't know that a multi-colored malabrigo would look as good in this pattern but any of their semi-solids would be fabulous. Believe it or not, this is actually a Christmas present, so I'm feeling pretty good on the gift-giving front.

This next one is a "just because" gift for a good friend (his wife is getting Aestlight).


Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood
Yarn: about half a skein of Dream in Color Smooshy in colorway Grey Tabby
Needles: size 6 and 8 16" circulars, size 8 DPNs for the crown
Mods: none. This was a great pattern - easy and fun to knit. So fun that it was the only thing I knit while we were on vacation. Normally I don't like paying for a hat pattern but I was happy to do so for this one.

Last up: some belated birthday socks.


Pattern: Gentleman's Half Hose in Ringwood Pattern from Nancy Bush's Kitting Vintage Socks (Yes, you're right, I have knit these before).
Yarn: 1 skein Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine in colorway Salt & Peper
Needles: size 1 addi lace circulars for magic loop
Mods: I might have tweaked the stitch count for the foot but that's about it. This is a great men's pattern - interesting enough to knit (especially as a reading project) but simple enough to appeal to the recipient. 

These socks are for our good friend Z, the father of little n (whose birthday present is finally done - with buttons! - but will wait on FO shots until she receives it).

And finally, the one you've been waiting for, Audrey in Unst is done, too!


Pattern: Audrey in Unst (Fall 2009 Twist Collective) by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn: 5 skeins Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in colorway Spruce
Neeldes: size 3 and 4 circulars
Mods: I made two mods to this piece - one intentional and one not. The intentional one involved lengthening the body since the original pattern is a cropped sweater (not flattering to my long torso). Because the original is cropped, I just added extra rows to the body below the waist (in the decrease sections), since everything is proportional above the waist. 

As for the unintended mod, I also managed to make one of the front sides a single stitch narrower than the other. I discovered this when I went to pick up the armscye stitches for the second sleeve and saw that I had two too few stitches on the underarm. I thought very briefly about ripping back and fixing things (very briefly) but quickly discarded that idea since it would have involved ripping everything back to the underarm divide. Anyway, I don't think you can really tell.


At least not from the back. Or the front.


This is an easy, straightforward pattern with some clever touches. The lace bib is interesting to knit and not too "lacey" to wear. But the sleeve cap shaping is the truly great part of the pattern: it's all worked in short rows and entirely seamless. The fit is great and the finishing minimal. What more could you ask?

4 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Nice bevy of FO's. Audrey in Unst is particularly lovely.

Jonah said...

We did take a lot of pictures this weekend, didn't we? They're all very pretty!
I think the Koolhaas picture may be my favorite. Only partly because of the handsome model.

Rachel said...

I'm the exact way...it can't be considered an FO until it's been photographed and blogged!

This parade of FO's is quite impressive. Everything looks great...especially the Audrey in Unst. Love the color and it fits you just perfect! Will there be a cast on party now?

I have to ask - how does J feel about you finishing up a pair of socks for another man while there are so many single socks waiting with his name on them! ;)

elizabeth said...

Your husband's so funny! :o)

Quite a lot of pretty finished knits! Audrey fits perfectly and - one stitch? You considered ripping for one stitch?!? You crazy girl! Ha!