Tuesday, September 20, 2011

FO: Simmer Dim

You may have noticed last time that I said I finished two projects last week but only showed you one. The other was Simmer Dim, a fabulous design by Gudrun Johnson. All of the techniques involved are simple but the finished piece is intricate and elegant. I'll definitely be knitting this one again. This version used malabrigo lace yarn (olive colorway) and size 6 and 10 circular needles.

The knitting itself was easy and I sped right through. Blocking was another story.


Well, the blocking itself wasn't particularly difficult.


But there is a pin in every single yarn over on the last row. And there is a yarn over every other stitch on that 500+ stitch row. That's a lot of pins. I think it might be time to find some flexible blocking wires.

I knit this one as written and only have one little note to make. I used a 3-stitch i-cord bind-off on the center triangle. I wanted a sturdy yet elastic edge and the i-cord seemed to do the trick. It's a bit thick so next time I'll try a 2-stitch i-cord and see how that turns out.


Simmer Dim is another very wearable shawl. The curved shape makes for easy draping. And the simple texture goes well with just about everything in my wardrobe. Of course, the green goes pretty well, too.


I love how unassuming Gudrun's designs are. Simple and understated. And perfect every time.


Besides, who can go wrong with malabrigo lace yarn? I'll have to try this pattern in handspun (and maybe a few other things in my stash). I don't think I can stop at just one.

6 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Another pretty FO, Love the colour.

Jacey said...

Whoa! I've never blocked anything that seriously before. Your efforts are worth it, though. I love the look. But yeah, maybe you should get some wires. I've thought about it, but never used any.

It's such a beautiful shawl!

Brendaknits said...

I love them both. Great job on the blocking.

Anonymous said...

SO lovely! Is this the one that went missing?

Kathy said...

I don't think I would have had the patience for all those yarnovers. And I definitely don't have the pins. I don't find the blocking wires super useful without the pins. the wires help with tension but - at least with my skills - if I don't use the pins on each end/YO, it still doesn't look even. of course, i've only blocked a couple pieces so it may be a matter of practice.

Rachel said...

Another fabulous FO (see, I'm glad I went visiting back further than the post you recommended!). I really like this design...you are right, simple, but so elegant. I may have to add this to my queue...although the thought of 250 blocking pins makes my eyes twitch.