Monday, May 31, 2010

The ants go marching one by one

That's really all I can think about whenever I knit Cookie A.'s Kai-Mei sock pattern (this is my second go at it). I just love watching the little lace pattern march across the top of the foot. Something about that progress makes these socks seem quicker to knit than any other pattern. Actually, this is a speedy knit all around - the leg is only moderately high and 3x3 ribbing knits up very quickly. And of course, once you get to the foot, you're done before you know it - the lace is just that fun.


Pattern: Kai-Mei, from Cookie A.'s fantastic book Sock Innovation
Yarn: Shalimar Yarns Zoe Sock in colorway Sprout (I used about 2/3 of the skein on this pair)
Mods: Absolutely none. Just make sure that you have the errata for the pattern (available here).

There is only one part of the pattern that calls for discretion on the part of the knitter and I think it's work a quick note. Cookie doesn't tell you how many rows to knit on the heel flap; she just says to knit for 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inches. That's great since you can customize for fit, but remember that the lace pattern panel is 15 stitches wide. In other words, a heel flap with at least 17 slipped stitches along the sides will work best. That gives you one stitch for the edge of the heel/bottom of the foot and one stitch to put with the decreases that travel across the foot.


This really is one of my absolute favorite sock patterns and I'd knit it again (and again, and again) in a heartbeat. Actually, I just might have to do that since I've worn holes in the heels of the pair I made for myself last year. As you can see, I exercised an impressive (at least to me) degree of self restraint last week when I put these in the mail and sent them off as a present for my grandmother's birthday.

I wasn't the only one taken by these socks. Nayyir came out to investigate the photo shoot.


The little guy, while quite shy in many respects, really likes hamming it up for the camera. I think he'd make a great model, don't you?


5 comments:

Jonah said...

Such an adorable kitten!

elizabeth said...

Those are really pretty! Since I've rediscovered my sock mojo, I've become intrigued by socks with unique construction.

Nayyir reminds me of today's cat on The Catorialist!

Rachel said...

Love these! I'm one sock away from casting on a pair for myself (with 16 hours of driving coming up this week that may be accomplished sooner rather than later!)...so I thank you for the tip regarding number of heel flap rows. It makes sense looking at the construction, but I'm not sure I would have figured that one out.

And very cute kitten!

Brendaknits said...

Those socks are wonderful - and thanks for the tip re the heel flap. I am usually a "I don't need a pattern for socks' kind of knitter - but those make me want to run out to get the book.

Sel and Poivre said...

I love that spring green colour! Lucky Grandmother!