Sunday, December 19, 2010

On a roll (FO: Peaks Island Hood)

Last weekend, my knitting goal was to finish my mom's Peaks Island. Check! (I'm close to meeting my knitting goal for this weekend, too, but that will have to wait for another post.)


Now I just have to wrap it up and stick it in the mail. Mr. Tinks and Frogs and I hopped outside for a quick photo shoot yesterday. Very quick, indeed, since it was a balmy 12 degrees outside.

Still, that was definitely long enough to capture just how gorgeous this yarn is.


Happily, I even have an entire skein left over that I get to turn into a hat for me. I'm thinking Habitat. But before I get carried away with thoughts of new knits, here are the specs on this latest FO:

Pattern: Peaks Island Hood by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: 2 skeins Malabrigo Rios, colorway purpuras
Needle: size 8 addi lace circular
Mods: other than adding a few more rows in the shorter leg of the scarf to account for my smaller row gauge, none at all. (Ok, I didn't put buttons on - see below.)

Other notes: I noticed this the first time I knit this pattern, but it really hit me on this iteration - as written (or at least as I knit it) the pattern produces a short leg that is way too short to look like the pattern picture. In the pattern photo, the legs cross nicely and there is plenty of room to button the legs together comfortably. Not so here. The long leg hangs down twice as far as the short one and it would look really odd to button them together like that. But it does look lovely flung back around your neck/shoulder again.


So no buttons for the moment. I think it looks great as is. Merry Xmas, Mom!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful knit! Thanks for the information on the 'legs'. If I fall under your enabler pressuring, I'll make sure to reread these comments! ;)

Gale Bulkley said...

I thought that looked rather strange in the other versions. It's been putting me off knitting it. Your version is beautiful.

Jacey said...

It's beautiful! Congrats on getting it finished in time. I'm sure your mom will enjoy wearing it.

elizabeth said...

That's so pretty! Your mom will love it, I'm sure. Interesting (and frustrating) about the legs.

Jodi said...

It's lovely! Such pretty colors. I haven't tried Rios yet (stupid yarn diet!).

It might be worth emailing Ysolda about the pattern. I've caught an error in at least one of her patterns and had a pleasant email exchange with her that resulted in an improved, updated pattern for all.

Jonah said...

Beautiful! I'm impressed that you're willing to give it away.

Unknown said...

It is indeed beautiful. The colors are delightful and the fiber feels wonderful against my skin. Thanks, Rue. Mom