Tuesday, September 6, 2011

FO: Leaflets

That's right, Leaflets. Plural.


When I saw the Leaflet pattern in the latest edition of Knitty, I thought it was a nifty adult cardi that could be turned into a really nifty baby sweater. So I set out to make a new sweater for Tadpole and I started by making a swatch, er, sweater for me.

Why? Well, I wanted to try out the Quince & Co. Osprey yarn and (more importantly) I wanted to see how the sweater was constructed before I started making any modifications. Sure, I could have just studied the pattern but that would have required more sleep than I was getting at the time.


Mama Leaflet Specs - 
Pattern: Leaflet by Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Yarn: Quince & Co. Osprey, Cypress colorway, 4 skeins 
Needles: size 9 addi lace circulars
Size: 34.75"
Mods: I made the bottom ribbing 13 rows long to match the length of the neck/front ribbing
What you should know: knit a swatch and wash it! My swatch grew by 1/4 stitch per inch after washing. 


Baby Leaflet Specs - 

Yarn: Quince & Co. Chickadee, Parsley colorway, 2 skeins 
Needles: size 4 addi lace circulars
Size: 34.75"
Actual Size: 21.25"
Mods: I only changed two things (other than gauge) for the baby version. First, I worked the body without any waist shaping. Second, I only worked 10 rows of neck/front ribbing but that was because I was worried about running out of yarn. I might have made it but I couldn't be sure and I didn't want to have to rip back in order to be able to finish the sleeves.


Tadpole is 6 months old (exactly!) in these shots and you can see she has plenty of room to grow in this sweater. It should definitely fit her through the winter and into spring. But it fits reasonably well now, too.


It also makes a great chew toy. She was munching on the shoulder the entire time we were taking pictures.


As for my Leaflet, it's comfy and cozy. And it holds up tolerably well to baby drool. She spent plenty of time gnawing on my shoulder, too. Now we'll just have to see if I'll wear it. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the coordination! What a great idea. You two are precious!

Estella said...

Rue, they are fantastic! She is getting big so fast! It is so much fun to knit for a little girl...my daughter is now 14 and she sketches things for me to knit. So fun.

Gale Bulkley said...

I am with Estella and Kristen here. No children for me, but I love knitting for boys and girls.

Jacey said...

What a cute set! Both versions are beautiful. I can't believe Tadpole is already six months! Wow.

Jodi said...

Rue, you're truly a knitting whiz! I can't believe you whipped up two of these so quickly. They look fantastic.

I just blocked the little baby sweater I made out of Quince and Co.'s Lark, and it grew a bit, too. Overall I'm very happy with the yarn. Saturated color and nicely/firmly plied, but still lofty and springy. I'm curious to see how well it holds up to washing! I'd love to buy enough Osprey for an Aidez, but there's a yarn-buying moratorium until we're settled in after the move.

Brendaknits said...

Definitely the cutest ever. Good for you for the adaption.

Kathy said...

I've never been a short sleeve sweater girl, but maybe I'll either try this short sleeve or just make it longer. I'm a sucker for insets. :)

Sally said...

I have been drooling over this pattern for weeks, and you might have sent me over the top. The true question is: do you wear it? I'd love to know the verdict when it gets cooler.

Anonymous said...

I love your Leaflets ~ awesome looking pair !

elizabeth said...

It's too cute NOT to wear! Plus, it's green, which makes it an automatic winner.