Monday, February 28, 2011

FO: Draper

This was the last item on my "finish it before the baby arrives" list and now it's done! I wanted a nursing cover-up so I was looking for a pattern that would be interesting to knit but opaque enough to hide what I needed.


Pattern: Draper (rav link) by Sara Morris
Yarn: 1 skein Briar Rose Sea Pearl
The pattern calls for 4 skeins of Shibui sock yarn (764 yards) for the larger size, which is what I knit. I used most of the 800-yard skein of Sea Pearl - I couldn't say exactly how much I have left but I'm willing to bet that it's less than 36 yards. So I'd recommend buying closer to 800 yards than 764 if you're thinking of knitting this pattern
Needles: Size 4 addi lace circular
Size: 62" wingspan, 26.5" depth
Mods: none


The shawl construction is a pretty standard triangle worked from the top down. The only difference: while you increase every other row at the center, you increase every row on the edges. This makes for a wider shawl than you'd expect for its depth, something that I really like. It's easier to wrap that way.


What do I think of the pattern? It's a lovely design but a bit overpriced at $8. There's nothing particularly innovative about the design and the pattern directions don't offer anything insightful beyond the basics. For instance, it would have been really nice to know what sort of bind-off the designer felt was appropriate for this piece. I used a sewn bind-off since that's my preference for a stretchy edge to garter stitch.

My other gripe with the pattern: it's not available as a download. You have to find a paper copy (I got mine from Knit-Purl).


The fabric on this piece has a wonderful drape - it's unlike anything that I've ever worked with and really, really lovely. It's incredibly cozy and fun to wear. I'm a huge fan of Briar Rose yarns and this is no exception.


Now it's just waiting for Tadpole to make her appearance.

7 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

You look so beautiful. The wrap is lovely. I have been noticing a lot of not-so-worth-it patterns being posted lately and wonder what the designers of these relatively simple pieces must be thinking.

elizabeth said...

I can't wait to meet Tadpole! And find out her real name! :o)

That is a perfect nursing shawl, but yes, I wouldn't have expected the pattern to cost $8. $5 or 6, maybe.

Brendaknits said...

You are definitely a shawl woman. It looks lovely on you. Love the pregnant profile.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there have been a couple patterns that are a bit over priced. It's a shame, because if they lowered the cost $2, they'd likely make more in the end. I'm debating $5 on a baby blanket pattern. It's a repeat of a 8 row design element... I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

You look lovely, as does the scarf and what we can see of Miss Tadpole. ;~)

Sel and Poivre said...

The shawl is lovely but seriously what's spectacular is that waist of yours in full term pregnancy! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Well, it's certainly a fitting name for the piece, and it looks incredible!
Congrats on finishing off your "pre-baby" list!

Rachel said...

I love this knit! It's funny...I don't even think about the price of patterns...I figure if I want to knit it enough to buy yarn for it, a few extra dollars for the pattern is worth it. Of course I don't knit near as fast as you so my pattern expense may not be near as much as yours!