Saturday, January 24, 2009

What the WSJ has to do with knitting

Yesterday I was browsing the Wall Street Journal online and stumbled across an article discussing how the dollar has risen against certain European currencies, particularly the pound. The exchange rate for the pound was something like $1.35, quite a drop from the nearly $2 that I remember from previous months. My first thought upon reading this: now is the time to buy up Starmore kits.

Alice Starmore has been on my mind lately because I've been working on the DH's Christmas present. The table full of yarn that I briefly touched on here is a Virtual Yarns kit for Lismore (Ravelry link). The yarns are gorgeous and, aside from a knot in a couple of the skeins, everything that you would hope for in a nice wool. The kit comes with Ms. Starmore's Hebridean 3-ply, a luscious woolen-spun collection of heathers whose colors seem to glow from within. It is pricey but worth every bit.

Don't just take my word for it, look:





It's really too bad that I'm not buying yarn right now (one of my New Year's resolutions is to see how long I can go without buying new yarn. Another, related, resolution is to knit through my stash). I suppose I'll just have to keep watching the exchange rates and see if I should start convincing the DH to get me an early anniversary present (gifts of yarn are an exception to the resolution). Wish me luck.

No comments: