Saturday, September 5, 2015

Backlog

So much for blogging more frequently. On the bright side, I have plenty to share. For starters, I finished my quilt!


The pattern is Jeni Baker's Half Square Triangle Sampler Quilt - a great intro pattern that breaks the various steps of the quilt-making process down into manageable pieces. The fabrics are an assortment of Alison Glass prints. I may have fallen down the Alison Glass rabbit hole since I just started cutting more of her fabric for a quilt for Tadpole.

My mom finished this lovely quilt, too, which she gave us as an anniversary present. Thanks, mom!


I love this shot of the girls trying to figure out what on earth we're doing.

And no, I haven't forgotten that this is a knitting blog. I finished my Stasis pullover a few weeks ago, too.



I don't remember if the pattern suggested this or if I just wanted to use the sleeve as a swatch but it was a brilliant idea to work the sleeves first on this sweater. There are miles and miles of plain stockinette. It's a lovely yarn and I'm a huge fan of green but that much stockinette was rather boring after a while. So it was really nice to be able to jump right into the yoke once I had finished the body section. And when you're starting, the sleeves seem to go so much faster than if you've just finished knitting a giant tube for the body and know you need to work two more tubes before you can get to the fun part.

The girls helped out with this photo shoot, too. They stopped by for periodic check-ins but either had any interest in showing her face to the camera.



Despite my general neglect this summer, the garden has produced some wonderful tomatoes and other goodies. I'm a huge fan of halving the cherry tomatoes and using them in this terrific baked orzo with eggplant and mozzarella dish, which is in the queue for this weekend. 



I didn't remember buying a larger variety of tomato when Tadpole and I went plant shopping last May. But we've been having a grand time chopping them up and making a simple tomato sauce with fresh basil from the garden. Even the kids like it. 

I'm still at a loss as to what to do with the peppers. We're drying the small hot peppers - more for decoration than anything else. Any suggestions for what to do with the Spanish red peppers? Paella, maybe?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Rue - such lovely creations! I am so glad to see your creativity come to life.

I have been busy with "Hot Pepper Week" and made a) salsa; b) red hot sauce; c) taco seasoning; and am hoping to make corn salsa next. So I recommend any of those for your peppers.

Good luck!