I ran into a few hiccups starting this sweater. After working a quick gauge swatch, I found I was getting 5 spi, calculated the key (chest circumference) number that I wanted, and took a quick look at EZ's pattern to see if I was anywhere close or if I would have to re-work the numbers. Lo and behold, she gave a number pretty close to what I wanted. So I blithely cast on as directed in the pattern and knit several rows before realizing that the neck opening would be far too small.
I took another look at the numbers and realized that EZ's stitch count measured the sweater right before separating the sleeves from the body stitches rather than after, which was what I wanted. (EZ's stitch count covered chest and arms, while I only wanted the chest measurement.) Naturally, I ripped and pulled out my scratch pad and calculator again. I had a general sense of what I wanted and so got a better number of stitches to cast on and started over again. My numbers were really only scribbles at best but I decided to wing it and fudge things later if I had to.
When I got up the next morning to work on the sweater a bit more (and double-check my math), I realized that somehow I had managed to make the numbers work perfectly. Not quite the way I had originally planned things, but once I remembered to figure in the underarm stitches everything worked out perfectly. So perfectly that I'll probably write this up in case anyone wants to use my lace substitution (and toddler sizing).
I just love how the vine lace looks in the handspun.
Actually, I love how the whole thing looks in the handspun. This pink is really growing on me.
Happy birthday, little n!