Sunday, November 30, 2014

Happy

Did I finish the mittens I mentioned last time? Yes, yes I did. I can't remember the last time a knitting FO has made me this happy.



Pattern: Snowfling Mitts by Tanis Lavalle
Yarns: Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow Label DK Weight and Tanis Fiber Arts Purple Label Cashmere Sock (I bought them as a kit here)
Needle: size 3 circular for magic loop


Cashmere lined mittens, where have you been all my life?

The mitts were fun to knit and (when I actually sat down to work on them) pretty quick, all things considered. The linings - essentially a second pair of mittens attached to the first - worked up much more quickly than I expected. It's no wonder I have my eye on the new mitten kit available from Tanis Fiber Arts.

I'm pretty pleased with my new sweater, too.



Pattern: Rocky Coast Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
Yarn: Sundara Yarn Aran Merino
Needles: size 7 for the body, size 6 for the ribbing

I ended up working the sleeves flat after discovering that even with alternating skeins, the stitch counts on the sleeves caused some truly horrendous flashing. Once I'd acknowledged the fact that I needed to frog several inches worth of sleeve to see if I could get the colors to play nicely together, the sleeves flew right by.

This was my first time working with the Sundara yarn and I'm not sure I would use it again. I'd be tempted by a less variegated color but each skein had at least one knot and the yarn is already pilling. (To be fair on that last point, I've worn the sweater every weekend since I finished it so it's seeing a fair amount of wear.)


The shape - an open front raglan cardigan - was perfect for a post-baby body. 

I find myself drawn to more fitted pullovers and I'm itching to try Custom Fit (Amy Herzog's program that fits sweater patterns to your measurements). But I don't particularly want to make a sweater to fit my current measurements. My next commitment to a sweater will come after I've made a commitment to the treadmill. Sadly, knitting is not an aerobic exercise.

Especially when one has recently discovered Nantucket Cranberry Pie (i.e., cranberry sauce with a sugar cookie baked on top). If, like me, you had an extra bag of cranberries sitting in the fridge after Thanksgiving, then you may need this recipe to help polish it off. It's quite good with fresh whipped cream on top. Don't ask me how I know.


2 comments:

Jodi said...

Those mittens are so cheery! They look beautiful, and the cashmere lining sounds luxurious and cozy. Love Rocky Coast, too. I love that cabled texture. I have been wanting to knit one, too, but I don't think the ribbing on the front edging would be flattering on my body. How do you think garter stitch would look? It would create vertical lines.

Rachel said...

Yay for the thrill of 'selfish' knitting. As usual, your FO's are lovely (as are you and your little one!). I particularly like that cardigan though I wonder...what did you end up doing on the sleeves to make the colors play so nicely together? Have a great holiday season!