I don't know about the rest of you, but the Knitting Olympics have been on my mind lately. To be sure, we're only talking about a tiny little spot at the back of my mind, which is pretty cluttered with thoughts of a teaching engagement starting later this week, a big work project due next week, and all of the other goings on of my non-knitting life. Naturally, when I started thinking about what I wanted to do during the Knitting Olympics, I ignored all of that and had a far too ambitious project in mind.
Briar Rose Legend
This is a lovely sport/dk weight merino that I picked up at Rhinebeck two years ago. No matter what I have in the stash, I can't seem to resist Chris's offerings at the Briar Rose booth.
I knew I wanted some sort of cable pattern and I kept sketching designs involving interlocking circles. After many drafts, I had a great chart ready to swatch - it looked perfect on paper. The original plan involved a large motif on the back and smaller, related motifs flanking the center button band in the front.
It's a good thing I tried swatching the smaller motif first. That's the first attempt on the left. What looked nice and round on regular graph paper ends up looking like a smooshed diamond when translated into knitting. Several iterations later, I came up with this:
We have a winner. The fronts are going to have a chain of these bubbles running up the center edge. I've played with reworking the larger motif with these proportions but haven't been able to make it work so I think I'm going to do a panel of three bubble columns instead.
The sides of the body, as well as the sleeves, will be worked in linen stitch like this:
I might be able to make this sweater for the Knitting Olympics, but that would require a less complicated non-knitting life over the next few weeks. So I picked Coraline instead.
At first I thought it wouldn't be much of a challenge to knit a sweater that is mostly stockinette, but then I realized that I'm still nowhere near finishing Buttercup, especially since I ripped out most of the body earlier today.
I finished spinning the yarn for Coraline over the weekend and now it's hanging up to dry after a little bath to set the twist. It looks like I'm ready to go.